Image Source: Pixabay

A Federal Housing Administration (FHA) loan is a loan insured by the organization to protect lenders from risk. FHA loans are private mortgage loans that the Federal government backs. The government backing allows lenders to offer FHA loans with terms and rates favourable to the borrowers.

FHA loans are designed for home buyers, especially first-time buyers with poor credit and little to no savings. You can use an FHA home loan to finance or refinance a single-family home, multi-family home, condominium, or manufactured home. The following are several things you should know about FHA loans:

How A FHA Loan Works

As of 2022, if you have a credit score higher than 580, you can borrow as much as 96.5% of a home’s value via an FHA loan. You will have to pay the remaining 3.5% as the down payment. You can get an FHA loan if you have a credit score of 500 to 579. However, you will have to pay a 10% down payment. The FHA does not offer any money for the loan. The bank or financial institution is the one that lends the money. Only an FHA-approved lender can issue an FHA-insured loan. FHA loan borrowers are encouraged to get mortgage insurance and pay the premiums to the FHA. The FHA guarantees the loan making it easier to get bank approval due to the reduced risk.

Types of FHA Loans

There are various types of FHA loans, but the following are the most common:

Basic or Traditional Home Mortgage 203 (b)You can use a basic home mortgage to purchase or refinance a primary residence with a minimum down payment. However, you can’t buy a house that needs more than $5000 worth of repairs with the loan.

203(k) Rehab Mortgage

You can use the 203(k) Rehab Mortgage to finance a fixer-upper, and the repair costs must be more than $5000. On the other hand, the repairs cannot take more than six months to complete.

Home Equity Conversion Mortgage

The Home Equity Conversion Mortgage is a reverse mortgage that allows senior citizens (over 62 years) to exchange equity for cash. Most people use it to supplement their retirement funds or income. The borrowers must retain the property as their primary residence, pay taxes, and maintain it.

Energy Efficient Mortgage Program

You can use a mortgage to make home improvements that make the property more energy efficient. The property must undergo a professional evaluation for you to qualify for the loan.

Growing-Equity Mortgage

The Growing-Equity Mortgage or Section 245(a) Graduated Payment Mortgage is designed for borrowers who expect an increase in income. It has a low initial monthly payment which increases over time. Section 245 (a) of the National Housing Act created this loan. You can only use the loan for single-unit primary-family homes, but you can select one of five different plans with varying duration and pay rises. An FHA mortgage calculator is a powerful real estate tool that can help you stay on top of your mortgage payments.

FHA Loan Limits

There are limits on every type of FHA loan, especially pertaining to the amount. As of 2022, the FHA loan limits are a minimum of $420,680 to a maximum of $970,800. The minimum loan limit is meant for low-cost areas and vice versa. Different states and counties have varying real estate prices, so moving to a cheaper area may afford you a better chance of getting a loan for excellent housing.

The FHA insures mortgage loans from private lenders, helping borrowers get favourable terms and rates. Above are some things you should know about FHA loans. Educating yourself to learn as much as possible about FHA loans to get the best deal and ensure you can pay it back would be best.